----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Reunionizing

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Reunionizing

On Saturday, I attended my 10-year high school reunion. I was neither a cool kid nor a total outcast in high school. I was one of the "smart kids." Of course, I secretly wanted to be popular, but I wasn't quite pretty enough or silly enough or bitchy enough or acquiescent enough. Who knows exactly what it takes to be popular in high school?

I've stayed in touch with a few friends from back then, and as for everyone else...well, I supposed it would be interesting to see what they had all been up to. Actually, Sarah and Jen and I figured we'd go and make secret catty comments about everyone we saw. And if that wasn't enough to entertain us, we could always turn to cocktails (cash bar, more's the pity). I wasn't expecting too much from the evening.

Well. I had a fabulous time! It was much, much better than actually being in high school. First of all, I loved the dress that I decided to wear. It's always easier to have a good time if you're in party clothes, don't you think? I was a little worried to start, because when we got there, the first girl I saw was wearing baggy jeans, a black poncho, no makeup, and flipflops. Not very festive. I thought perhaps I was way overdressed, but I've always been more of a dressy girl. And trust me, this dress was very flattering on me. It was floaty red chiffon, cut rather like Marilyn Monroe's famous white halter dress. Of course, I don't have her curvy figure, but my mom sewed cups into the top to help me out in that area. And I'm a klutz with a hairdryer, so I had my hair professionally blown out.

Okay, so I was reasonably confident that I looked good. And it did help that girls that I hardly knew in high school ("popular" girls!) came up to me and told me that I looked great and they loved my dress. That's always an ego boost. But that wasn't the main thing. The main thing was that everybody seemed really friendly! Everyone seemed ready to chat and mingle with whoever crossed their path. And we had an excellent turnout, too. I was afraid that there would be just 20 of us, skulking forlornly in corners of the too-big ballroom. I danced with Sarah and Jen to the hits of the early 90s. I hung out with a girl that I'd known since third grade but hadn't seen for years. I talked to the guys who had seemed so far out of my league 10 years ago. I made a possible networking connection.

But most importantly, I left the reunion with a little glow, and not one that came from alcohol. (Well, not entirely.) I went home feeling really good about the shape my life was taking. So what if I hate my day job? I have fun friends and a darling husband willing to play designated driver when I've had too many vodka Collins. He even kept his patience when I and his other passengers yelled "French fries! French fries!" repeatedly, despite the fact that McDonald's, home of the world's most deliciously salty fries, had closed long ago. Yes, we were all quite tipsy. But my druken state didn't keep me from a happy little revelation: I realized that so much has changed in the past 10 years, I can't wait to see what adventures the next 10 years will bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home