----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Always Learning

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Always Learning

I am immersed in a copywriting project for eBay, and I am learning about all sorts of new things. Today, for instance, I had to write about inkjet printers. That probably sounds really boring, but while researching this subject, I finally learned what CMYK, the four-color printing acronym, really stands for.

I always thought CMYK referred to the colors used in the four-color printing process. This is mostly true. The colors are cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. Some people say the "k" stands for the last "k" in black, but I always thought that if the acronym really referred to the four colors, it should be CMYB. Right? Well, it turns out (according to Wikipedia) that the "k" stands for "key," which refers to the key plate used in printing. The key plate lays down fine detail in black ink. So there you go.

I imparted my newfound knowledge to my husband, who greeted this revelation with a shrug. "I knew that," he said. Right. Because he's a fancy graphic designer who knows all about printing and production and typefaces. He's a design geek. He has a book called "Helvetica: Homage to a Typeface."

That's okay. I know PLENTY of things that he doesn't know. So there.

But that's not really the point of the story. The point is that this is what I love about writing. Even when you're writing about something seemingly mundane, you may learn a useful bit of information. Next up: learning about HDTV.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah? Well once you move down we will have to go see this!!!!

    http://www.helveticafilm.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home