----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Corporate America

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Corporate America

Maybe I am naive or misguided, but I just don't understand corporate America. Why would a company offer a job to someone whom they know is a good writer and editor, and then have that person do the equivalent of data entry? Oh, and sorting through returned direct mail pieces that the company sends out is another assigned task. The company gets boxes and boxes of this returned mail--what fun! I guess I should just shrug and accept it, because hey, they hired me and they're paying my (fairly generous) salary. But wouldn't a company want to put an employee's demonstrated talents and skills to use?

Perhaps not. After all, today I was included in an email chain from one of the big bosses. He was upset that a worker could not simultaneously manage seven projects in the time period that the boss wanted them to be handled. The boss wrote, "I just can't make since of this." At least if he'd written, "I just can't make cents of this," it would have been a pun. I just can't make sense of the whole company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home