----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: My Positive Attitude Has Left the Building

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Positive Attitude Has Left the Building

So, I've been working part-time for this company, and it's been really great. The work has been sort of boring, but it hasn't been overly challenging, and the pay has been amazing. Best of all, it gave me the chance to pursue some of my other interests. I have been in a wonderful, encouraging writing class, and I've written three solid chapters of my novel.

But all good things must come to an end. My part-time contract was up, and I was offered a full-time job with the company. "But wait," you might say. "Isn't that good news?" No, not exactly. You see, I'll be making roughly the same amount of money as a full-timer that I was making as a part-timer. Twice as many hours for the same pay! What fun! However, I had resigned myself to that fact, because the pay is still pretty good, and hey, everyone has to work, right?

Now, however, I am learning more about my new job responsibilities, and I am less than thrilled. One of my big jobs is going to be (drumroll, please!) UPDATING A SPREADSHEET! Yes, folks, that's right...I get to use my writing skills to change the phone numbers in an Excel document!

This is even more exciting, though. I get to go to a seminar on--wait for it--direct mail! (You may know it as junk mail--the stuff you throw out or put through the shredder without even opening.) I don't know what I should be looking forward to more: the discussion about "The Future of Intelligent Mail," or "The Response Optimization Guide and ROI Calculator."

Okay, end of rant. I will try not to complain too much. We need the money. We need the money. We need the money. Not everyone can be as lucky as my dear husband Mr. Pink, who has a job he actually likes! And eventually, I will finish my novel and sell it (fingers crossed) and then I will no longer need to live in a cube farm, where people get excited about innovations in mailing envelopes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home