----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: More Good Things

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More Good Things

I am still having my ups and downs of course--that's life--but I am feeling really positive about my chances for landing this copywriting contract. I spoke with the HR coordinator today, and she said the the VP of marketing really liked me a lot. So, now I have to sign up with their staffing agency to go through the whole criminal background check, but I think things are looking good.

I'm really trying to stay focused on that possibility, and some of the other good things that have happened recently. Here are a few:

1. Had lengthy chats with two of my best friends today.
2. Took a walk in the warm summer sunshine this morning.
3. Reconnected with some old classmates on MySpace.
4. Had an interested interview with a wine accessories manufacturer, which may lead to some marketing consulting work on the side.

There are irritating things that have happened recently, as well, but I am doing my best to ignore those incidents. For instance, I was not too pleased with an interview I had at another company, where the president of the company grilled me about my "writing output." This is a company that provides content for its clients' Web sites to boost the sites' search engine relevance. Most of the writing they provide is pretty shoddy, because they pay their freelancers 2 cents a word. Now, though, they have premier clients who are demanding better content, and that's where I come in. But apparently, the president is still somewhat averse to paying for quality and needs to justify it by knowing how many words I can churn out a day. I don't know about other writers, but for me, that's nearly an impossible estimate to make, because it all depends on the project I am working on. This guy was also fairly combative, telling me that he was getting "mixed vibes" from me, and that he didn't really think I wanted the job. This was my second interview with the company, and I know I could do good work for them, so I am trying to let these annoyances roll off my back. I am writing about them here and moving on.

I do have to write about one more ridiculous situation...in my side job as a Realtor, I try to help tenants find rental homes. The thinking is that then when they are ready to buy, they will come back to me for assistance. So far, however, it hasn't really worked out like that. What I've gotten is a lot of flakes and a lot of people with bankruptcies on their credit reports. And then there was this winner. I spent some time showing him some apartments one day, and in the course of conversation, I learned that I'd already met his girlfriend, to whom I had shown other apartments previously. Well, he liked one of the places I showed him, but when we went back the next morning so his girlfriend could see it, it had already been rented. So then I rushed around, trying to find them other options, and I took them out two additional times to see places. Finally, they decided to put in an application on one place, but they were leaving for Europe the next day. I had questions for them once I submitted their application, but they didn't return my calls or emails.

So then yesterday, I get an email from this guy saying that they rented an apartment the morning they left for Europe. Great. I'm so glad I spent all that time with them for no compensation. But that's what happens, and it wouldn't have bothered me so much if he hadn't then written, "By the way, you have the prettiest eyes I've ever seen."

It is true that my eyes are exceptionally lovely. But can you believe the gall? I spend time taking this guy and his girlfriend around, they rent an apartment without me so I get no commission, and then the guy tries flirting with me? Honestly.

However, I am letting it go. And Mr. Pink needs to let it go, too. He wants me to give him this guy's email address so that he can give him what-for. But that won't be necessary. Then Mr. Pink said that I should forward the email to the guy's girlfriend. Again, no need. I am rising above it and focusing on the positive! (I just needed to gripe a little to get it out of my system. But I am not going to dwell. I am past all that now.)

Keep on keeping your fingers crossed about the copywriting job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home