----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: A Realtor Once More

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Realtor Once More

This weekend, Mr. Pink and I stopped to look at some open houses. Yes, we are the couple Realtors hate most: "looky-loos" who can't afford to buy what they're selling. Even worse for the Realtors, I am an agent, so I have no interest in getting on their contact lists so they can let me know about upcoming properties.

But that's neither here nor there. The point is that we saw a really nice home that we both liked a lot. Three bedrooms, two baths, nice upgrades, big lot, although the house was a little on the small side. Also, it only had a one-car garage. It was really cute, though. The price? $795,000, which apparently is cheap for a single-family home in Dana Point. That's still way, way out of our ballpark.

So, after much discussion, I realized that I need to find a highly lucrative job. Mr. Pink mentioned the "l-word"--law school. And while I know that I would enjoy the law school learning experience, I don't know that I really want to be a lawyer. It would be an expensive three years just to figure that out. Plus, Mr. Pink has a job that he loves, and I don't think he wants to uproot himself to live wherever it is that I might be admitted to law school--probably UC Davis, since they accepted me the last time I toyed with this idea.

No, I don't think that law school is the answer at this point. The problem is that I don't have anything that I love to do that people are going to compensate me well for doing. I do enjoy writing and editing, but I'm being offered 2 cents a word or $30,000 a year to do that stuff, and that is not going to help us buy a house. So, it's back to real estate. And not a $20 an hour assistant position to enrich some broker, either. No, I've got to go at it full force and make the big bucks.

To that end, I have joined Avalar Real Estate. It's an established franchise in Northern California, but it's just starting up down here in Southern California. The good thing about it is that I am going to start off in their rental program, where leads are fed to me and I try to match renters up with available apartments. Then I might be able to move into the REO world. Avalar has a good marketing program (although the current SoCal Web site is atrocious), and the company also offers revenue sharing plans, plus generous commission splits. Also, there's no charge for training, unlike at First Team, where I was being asked to pay $300 for basic training, even though I had already worked as a Realtor. But there's always a catch, isn't there? In this case, it's that the Avalar office is in Corona. Also, not a lot of people down here know about the Avalar name. But I'm really interested in the rental program as a way to make some immediate money before going back on a commission-only basis.

We'll see how it works out. But between this and the tutoring job, I've got to start bringing in some money soon, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home