----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Does Sex Sell Mortgages?

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Does Sex Sell Mortgages?

I read about this TV commercial on the L.A. Land Blog at LATimes.com, but it was originally mentioned on the Blown Mortgage blog. Apparently, the commercial is for real...it's a bad parody of those 1-800-call now to talk to hot singles commercials, except it's about home mortgages.

Kal has posted comments on the blogs taking issue with his commercial, writing, "My marketing slogan is 'I'm not your mothers mortgage broker, but probably your daughter's.'" He says he wants to target young renters who don't think they can afford to buy a home. Well, in California, they probably can't, but in Atlanta, maybe they can.

Anyway, the ad has accomplished one goal. It's getting Kal a lot of attention. (And yes, I am adding fuel to the fire.) If his niche is targeting first-time homebuyers, as he claims, then fine. Based on the commercial I saw, though, he's only targeting beer-swilling, Maxim-reading, former frat boy homebuyers. Note to Kal: Women have money, too. Women buy homes, too. And this woman, at least, is turned off by your advertising techniques. I doubt Kal's commercial appeals to women of any age. I am technically in the demographic that he wants to target--I'm a young renter considering a first-time home purchase--but the ad that I saw ensures that I will never call Kal for a mortgage, even if he could get me the best rate in the universe. Why would I want to get a home mortgage from a guy who thinks it's clever to have a bunch of busty women act like airheads to promote his business? "Like, oh my God! Mortgages are haaard! Let's get Kal to help."

This puts the "ick" in gimmick.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Astera,

    It's great to hear a woman's point of view on this issue. I am in his target too and I found it offensive. I know he is a very popular guy and obviously the troops rallied to support him and his add; however, I still believe that home ownership is a sacred thing. When I think of homes I think of dinner tables, kids sleeping down the hallway, trophies and important memories on the walls and shelves.

    While he may have created a buzz I can't see how anyone outside the "Maxim" target as you eloquently describe it can be excited or moved to action by his add.

    Morgan
    www.blownmortgage.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home