----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Happy Birthday to Me!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, August 04, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Once you hit 30, your age doesn't really matter anymore, right? Well, at least not until the big 4-0 looms. And luckily, I am still quite a ways from that terrifying milestone. As one of my friends would put it, I'm just celebrating my "double sweet 16."

Today is my official birthday (well, at least for two more hours). The party really started on Friday, Aug. 1, when my brother Esquire and his girlfriend came into town. We spent that evening with drinks and appetizers at the Chart House, where we had a great view of the harbor below and the stars above.

On Saturday, we did a little shopping at Fashion Island. (I showed admirable restraint, although Mr. Pink treated himself to a few birthday items...his birthday was yesterday!) Then it was manicures and pedicures for the girls. Mr. Pink stayed home to watch sports, but Esquire joined us for a pedicure--he's post-metrosexual, I guess. That night, it was off to Iva Lee's for a New Orleans-style feast. We met up with another couple there, and the six of us shared incredible food and a couple of delicious bottles of wine from our modest collection. I had beignets for dessert, which were so good that my mouth waters just thinking about them. We hit a club later, and a couple of other friends met us there. Unfortunately, the band we wanted to see didn't take the stage until late (too late for us old folks), but we caught part of their performance.

We all slept in Sunday morning and shared a homemade brunch with bellinis and mimosas. Then, Esquire and Blondie had to leave (hey, she needs a nom de blog of some sort!), but the party wasn't over for Mr. Pink and me. He got to go hit golf balls, and then we went to his favorite red-sauce Italian joint for dinner.

Today was my day. I got to sleep in, and then I met up with Mr. Pink for a delicious barbecue lunch, where I got to open my gorgeous birthday present--a handblown perfume bottle which is just the sort of luxury item I love. Plus, my friends and family showered me with birthday emails and phone calls.

I finished another chapter in my novel this afternoon and attended my online writing class tonight, and then I got to open the rest of my gifts, which were all wonderful. I especially like my pearl cocktail ring from the Blacklabels, and my amethyst ring and spending spree cash from my parents. Mr. Pink was going to cook for me, but I was craving something specific--shabu shabu. We ended up a a great little hole-in-the-wall that was inexpensive and delicious.

Do you get the sense that most of our celebrating revolved around food and drink? You are correct! It's home cooking for the rest of the month, though. Back to real life...although I bet I can squeeze out a little more celebration over the next couple of days. It's a whole new year of my life. Let's hope it's exciting (in good ways, of course)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home