----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Funk

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Funk

My self-imposed deadline for finishing the first draft has come and gone. The first draft, alas, remains unfinished. Missing the deadline put me in a deep funk for a couple of weeks earlier this month, even if the deadline was, as Mr. Pink claims, "unrealistic." Our precarious financial situation also contributed to the funk, although my generous patron of the arts has provided much-needed relief.

Finally, the funk is beginning to lift. I'm spending more time writing, and I really only have a few chapters to go. Plus, I signed up for a great online class with the same instructor who was so helpful to me as I was beginning my novel. The class is helping me edit and polish what I have already written. Mr. Pink has been very supportive and encouraging, and I've been getting some positive feedback in class. So things are turning around.

What really made me shake off the cobwebs and laugh, though, was one of the most bizarre commercials I have ever seen. Ironically, the commercial was touting a remedy for the funk...different kind of funk than what I had, though. It featured a trucker and a monkey, and the trucker was talking about how his butt would get red and sore during long drives. The solution? Anti Monkey Butt Powder.

You have to watch a certain type of television to be afforded the pleasure of the Anti Monkey Butt Powder commercial. It doesn't air on Grey's Anatomy, say, or during the Olympic gymnastics trials. No, it was thanks to Mr. Pink's viewing habits that I saw this commercial. He watches car racing. Nothing so gauche as NASCAR, thank goodness, but he does follow Formula One, and he also likes the Moto GP motorcycle races. That's when the Anti Monkey Butt Powder commercial came on.

Anyway, I would like to thank the manufacturers of Anti Monkey Butt Powder for helping lift me out of my funk. And I am not the only one to have been charmed by the oddity of the commercial...this blogger also remarked upon the product.

Now that I have my own butt firmly planted into my desk chair, I may even have to buy some Anti Monkey Butt Powder. After all, according to the company's Web site, it is ideal for "occasions where you sit on your butt all day."

Remember, folks: "Don't let your buns get red, use Anti-Monkey Butt Powder instead!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home