----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: I Voted!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I Voted!

I hope you all voted today. I expected long lines at my polling place, especially because the parking lot was packed, but the polls were pretty empty. I guess all the people were at the adjacent 24 Hour Fitness.

As one of the few Democrats in Orange County, I wanted to make my voice heard. And I voted for Hillary Clinton. I voted for her partly out of solidarity--I think it's high time we had a woman president. I voted for her partly out of nostalgia--we had some good times when Bill was president. But I voted for her mainly because to me, health care is one of the most important issues of this election, and I believe that she has the experience and the vision necessary to reform our broken system.

I read an excellent opinion piece in the New York Times yesterday that compared Clinton's health care proposal to Obama's. In short, Clinton's plan is likely to get more people covered, and it wouldn't be that much more expensive. Because of my health history, I know how vital health insurance is. If I had not had an individual health insurance policy when I was diagnosed with cancer, I would now be facing crippling debt. I'd just started a new job when I was diagnosed, and I was offered health insurance right away. But the job was in L.A. and I moved to Northern California to live with my parents during my treatment. Eventually, I had to take disability benefits. If I had taken health insurance from that job instead of keeping my own policy, I ultimately would have lost my benefits when I lost my job, and I would be faced with paying higher COBRA premiums. Plus, it would have been near-impossible for me to ever get a policy of my own again.

Any plan that helps more Americans get health insurance at a reasonable cost is one I support. However, we also need to make sure that the coverage we pay for is coverage we can actually use without fear of it being retroactively rescinded by greedy corporations who only want to insure healthy people who never use their health care benefits. We also need to find a way to tamp down health care costs that are spiraling out of control, and we need to make sure that good doctors continue to accept patients with health care plans, rather than discontinuing participation in such plans because of frustration over reimbursement.

I think that Hillary Clinton is the candidate who is best able to tackle the health care issue. She's not perfect by any means, but for me, she's the candidate who makes the most sense. I hope she wins the nomination. I look forward to voting for her as president.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo Kouklamou. Spoken like the daughter I raised.

    O Kanenas

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kelly Love said…

    Ditto! (from way over here on the East Coast in a red state). Go Hillary!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home