----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Bragging Rights

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bragging Rights

Over the weekend, I attended a writers' conference put on by San Diego State University's extended studies program. I didn't know what to expect, but it was totally worth the money. I have returned refreshed, exhilarated and re-committed to my novel.

When I signed up for the conference back in February, I had the option of paying extra for an advance reading appointment with a book editor. I decided to take advantage, and I submitted the first 10 pages of my novel, as instructed. I am so glad I did. Because I was her last appointment of the day, and because she was running a little behind, the editor spent extra time with me. At first, she asked a lot of questions, and I was worried that she didn't like my writing. But then she said that my writing was bright, crisp and well-paced and that my main character was totally real. She also asked me to send her my manuscript! She even said that she knew some young agents who might be interested in my work. And this was no editor from some tiny little publishing house. This was an editor at HarperCollins!

The next day, winners of the "Editor's Choice" awards were announced. Editors who had participated in the advance reading appointments were able to select one writer whom they thought had the best submission. And the editor who read my work chose me! I got called up to the front of the ballroom in front of everyone and I got a special blue ribbon to wear on my nametag, and everyone clapped and people congratulated me all day. It was wonderful!

I realize that this post has a lot of exclamation marks in it, but this was a very exciting event for me! Now, enough blogging...time to work on the novel!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats! I can't wait to read more of your novel...but maybe I'll just have to wait until it's published!

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo Kouklamou

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's awesome! Congratulations!

    (I really need to call you.) Jen from Novato

     

Post a Comment

<< Home