----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Happy New Year!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

Dear readers, I hope that you all had a festive holiday season. I certainly did. It was so festive that I almost managed to forget about my distressing work situation. There were holiday parties, dinners out, tree trimmings, wine tastings in Napa, present openings, fondue dinners (or fondue fiascoes, as the case may be...let's just say that when your fondue pot cracks down the middle, things haven't gone according to plan!), more dinners out, more wine tastings, and finally, New Year's Eve aboard John Wayne's yacht in the Newport Harbor. Not a bad way to ring in 2008. And on New Year's Day, we ate black-eyed peas to bring us good luck for the coming year. Mr. Pink and I did it last year, and we went from being jobless and living with my parents to having well-paying jobs (and he actually enjoys his!) and living in a lovely apartment in Dana Point. I hope the black-eyed peas will bring me extra-special good luck this year. Here's what I hope to accomplish:

1. Find a more fulfilling career, or at least one that does not cause me to curse the very daylight at the start of each new workday.

2. Finish my novel (sooner, rather than later).

3. Find an agent and a publisher for said novel.

4. Travel the country (the world?) promoting my novel.

5. Sell the film rights to my novel.

6. Eat more fruits and vegetables.

7. Take up a new physical activity...perhaps ballroom dancing, even if Mr. Pink won't do it with me.

8. Pay off credit card debt and stick to a budget.

9. Be fabulous.

So, I have to find a way to reconcile #8 and #9, but being fabulous does not have to involve spending money. And #3, #4, and #5 may be long shots, but why not dream big, right? After all, I have the support of my loving husband, my family, and my friends. I just need to stay motivated and believe in myself.

All in all, 2007 was a year of positive changes. I just hope that 2008 will be truly great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home