----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Seeking a Patron of the Arts

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Seeking a Patron of the Arts

Whatever happened to the patronage system of old? You know, the one where a wealthy, high-minded individual would take a promising young artist under his wing and provide a certain sum of money so that the artist wouldn't have to be concerned with filthy lucre? Instead, the artist was free to focus on his art, without the distractions of how he or she was going to pay those bills.

I think we should return to such a system. I, for one, could greatly use a patron. I have become more disciplined lately, and I am working on my novel every day, but my regular job makes it difficult to devote the time I need to the writing process.

All I'm looking for is someone to throw maybe $5,000 or $10,000 my way. Is that so much to ask? But it's not like this patron wouldn't get anything in return. First, he or she would get the satisfaction of helping a budding young novelist write her first book. Second, he or she would be prominently recognized in the acknowledgment section of the finished work. Third, he or she would be mentioned in any press or publicity that I do in support of my book. Fourth, he or she would get advance copies of my masterwork. And finally, my patron could rest assured that I would pay him or her back out of my royalties. (That is, assuming I make enough in royalties. But this book is going to be a hit...I can feel it!) And I don't necessarily need to have just one patron. Maybe three or four people out there are interested in contributing to the cause and sharing the glory.

You see, this situation is a win-win for everyone. Sure, there's a slight risk that the patron won't get all of their investment back, but he or she will have the satisfaction of telling friends that my published novel would not have been possible without his or her assistance. The patron might even get invited to some cool literary parties, where he or she could break out that tweed jacket with the elbow patches and engage in high-brow conversation. Just think of how erudite and impressive you would seem to your friends!

Think about it. I'm serious. We could have a great symbiotic relationship, my patron and I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home