----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Being Proactive

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Being Proactive

Since I am one of many, many people seeking employment right now, and since prospects seem grim, I am instead focusing on increasing my base of freelance clients. I've put together a marketing letter and a list of clients I've worked with in the past, and I've ordered shiny new business cards. Now, I'm developing a contact database. I hope to get my letters in the mail next week.

It's tough to stay positive in this environment, especially when the bills just keep pouring in, but the income doesn't. Mr. Pink and I are trying to cut back any way we can, so we've stopped going out to dinner, and we're always on the lookout for free entertainment. Last weekend, for instance, we went to an art gallery for a free exhibit and free wine. The one thing I don't want to cut out is my martial arts training. It gets me out of the house, for one thing. Plus, the strenuous exercise releases endorphins, which make me feel a little bit better, at least temporarily. And I'm focused on a goal. I'm training for my yellow belt. Besides, kicking and punching in class is an excellent way to reduce stress and frustration!

Do you have any job-seeking or money-saving tips? If so, please share!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you for being proactive! Have you tried LinkedIn as a job resource/networking tool?

    As for money-saving tips, buy gift cards on Ebay to save on personal shopping (especially with the holidays coming up--sometimes I'm able to save as much as 20 percent at Anthropologie or Nordstrom with gift cards); watch TV shows and movies for free on www.hulu.com; and check out DVDs from your local library (if that's possible).

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I definitely wouldn't give up the martial arts...you are too good at it. As for free stuff...you need to talk to Jen F. about that..she's good at finding lot of free stuff. You could always come over and play cars and trains with us...it's hours of free entertainment (with a little bit of screaming once in a while) :)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Astera said…

    Cindy, thanks for your thoughts. I am on LinkedIn, but I need to continue to build my network. The suggestion about eBay is an excellent one!

    Melissa, I may take you up on your "entertainment offer." I was at Mr. Pink's cousin's daughter's first birhtday this weekend, and watching that little girl was fascinating!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home