----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: And Now for Something Fabulous...

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

And Now for Something Fabulous...

Good news, chicklets! I, Astera, have not one, but TWO acting gigs lined up! Okay, okay, so it's just extra work. But still...

First, I'm going to be an extra in a nonunion commercial for Transamerica insurance. My acting coach called me today because he was with a friend of his who is a casting director, and she needed last-minute extras. I was at work, but since I have my headshots posted in my blog, she was able to see them and book me for a part. It shoots tomorrow in the City. I get paid $200, and as an added bonus, I don't have to go to my hated job! Granted, I am missing the company Christmas party, but it's really just breakfast. And we already get free bagels every Friday, so come on, how special is it gonna be? Unless they're serving mimosas or bellinis (my favorite!), I don't think I'll be missing out on much. Also, I now have this casting director's contact info, so I can write her a little thank-you note and maybe she'll keep me in mind for anything else that comes up.

I am also going to be an extra in Memoirs of a Geisha, which is exciting because I loved the book. I went for my fitting last night, and I have a fabulous little vintage outfit to wear. It fits perfectly--they don't even have to alter it. Well, the bra doesn't fit too perfectly. I need quite a bit of tissue to fill it out and get that proper 1950's pointed missle shape. Ah, well. I have gloves and the cutest hat, plus a structured black handbag that has a clock in it! I'll be wearing a long golden brown dress with black buttons all down the front, and really high black heels. Not the most comfortable attire, but I'll look smashing! And if I'm lucky, maybe I'll be able to catch a glimpse of my elbow in the finished film. I was worried that my hair would be too short, but the stylist loved it. I just have to use a temporary rinse to blend in the highlights. As he told me, only "fast" women colored their hair back then. And goodness knows I wouldn't want to be thought of as "fast!" That shoot isn't until January 10, though.

I'm excited, even though I've done extra work before and I know how boring it usually is. You just sit around and wait for something to happen. So, I am bringing plenty of books and magazines with me. And who knows? Maybe this will lead to something else. I'm going to be working on my voiceover CD with David, my acting coach, later in the month, and I hope to send it out with my headshots to agents in January. Maybe good things are starting to happen.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Hi there, found you via your post on Mediabistro and enjoyed reading your site. Congrats on the good news as well! I'll keep checking in for a West Coast flavor!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home