----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Total Ineptitude

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Total Ineptitude

Oh, my God. I don't understand how my boss keeps his job. He's an incompetent fool!

On Tuesday, I spent pretty much ALL DAY revising these Quark files for him. He told me what folder they were in, so I pulled them all out and printed them for him. (He cannot print anything for himself because a) he's the boss and b) they're all Mac files and he only had a PC. Another brilliant example of the inefficiency of this company.) And although printing files may sound simple, it is not, because we recently upgraded our software and it messed up all the pictures and a lot of the fonts in the files, so I have to go back and make sure the fonts aren't corrupted and then replace each picture and any bad fonts. It's very time-consuming and totally boring. Oh and also, it has absolutely nothing to do with writing. I wonder why they told me this was a writing job?

Okay. So he has the files. He looked them over and told me what changes to make. I dutifully made said changes. He looked at the files again. I made them into PDFs. My boss looked at them again and gave them to the account manager, who looked at them and made suggestions. I made those changes. My boss and account manager looked at them again and signed off on them. They sent the files to the client.

Well today, guess what? My boss comes to me and says he doesn't know how it happened, but we used the wrong files. He said he takes full responsibility for not catching it earlier. Wow, how magnanimous! Damn straight, he better take full responsibility! He looked at the files at least four times without figuring it out. What an idiot. And the account manager is to blame, too. This is his account. He should know it better than anyone. But does it affect them? Of course not. I'm the one who has to re-do all the work, while my boss skips blithely off to interview the next victim for this hellish position. Thank God my last day is coming up.

But I do have some fabulous news to share...more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home