----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Meanwhile, On the Acting Front...

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Meanwhile, On the Acting Front...

I had a wonderful 4th of July weekend up at my family's cabin in Truckee. We barbecued, drank mojitos, rode Waverunners and soaked up the sun. And our time culminated with watching the fireworks over Lake Tahoe from our boat. I was planning to stay up in Truckee on Tuesday, but duty called. I had a print go-see to be a dog-walker in an ad for Cingular. And I'm not in any position to turn down auditions! So I woke up early and slogged through the traffic to make it to San Francisco by lunchtime. (Actually, I guess I was smart to leave when I did...it took my brother five and a half hours to get home.)

Anyway, I arrived at the casting studio and filled out the requisite forms. Then I waited. And waited. I saw a girl from my acting class there...she's with the same agency that I'm with. We chatted for a moment. We look nothing alike, but apparently our agent believes we both possess the healthy, wholesome look that the client was going for. I was there for about half an hour. Then I was called in and--snap, snap--two pictures later, I was dismissed. It's funny sometimes. We actors spend so much time figuring out what to wear to auditions, fixing our hair, doing our makeup, driving there, waiting, and then in just a few seconds, it's over! The ad shoots Friday, so if I don't hear tomorrow, I'll know I didn't get it. Again.

I had my second acting class last night, and it was really helpful, if slightly depressing. I look much chunkier on camera than I would like. Hence, the slight nagging headache from hunger today. Anyway, the teacher had several positive things to say about me, and another student said I looked very appealing on camera, but I realize that I need to work on being more comfortable and being more "in the moment." Also, if I don't work to keep a hint of a smile on my face at all times, I look very stern and angry.

So that was all fine. Then we watched another girl's slate, and I realized how much more compelling she was to watch. I was pleasant; she was genuinely interesting. And our teacher raved about her, telling her that she would make a great film actress. Of course, she's had a lot more experience than I have--she went to Yale and majored in theater, for God's sake! But still, I want that. I want to be compelling on camera. All is not lost, though! The teacher said that there's no one in the class who is completely lacking "it" and that I should take some theater classes. Which I will. My true secret deep-down desire is to have a recurring role on a good sitcom or dramedy, but I am starting pretty late in the game.

We have determined my type. I am the "girl-next-door/young wife" type, and a little quirky. I now have to come up with specific commercials that I could be in. The only one I've thought of so far is that Glad commercial with the woman with the funny voice. I don't have a funny voice, but I think I can project a similar vibe. I also have to come up with a movie star or a big name that I am similar to. That's tough. Maybe Lauren Graham? She's so cool and sassy on Gilmore Girls. But I'm not really physically similar to her. I'll keep thinking about it. Meanwhile, I must find a good theater class and enroll forthwith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home