----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Class Notes

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Class Notes

Last night, I had my first acting class at the S.F. Acting Academy. Although I really liked working with my old coach, his last class had a lot of beginning beginners, so I was looking for something at a slightly more advanced level. I need to be pushed so that I can stop freezing up during auditions and start booking some work. I don’t think my true personality has been coming out in the auditions I’ve been on—I’m afraid I come across as too meek, or uninteresting, or something.

Anyway, I think this new class will be really good for me. Several of the students have already done extensive work in the industry and our teacher has really good credentials. I like the fact that she’s planning to go over every aspect of the auditioning process with us, from our headshots to what to wear to figuring out our type to relaxing and being comfortable with ourselves on camera. Last night, we just slated our names and had a little on-camera chat. We only had time to watch and give feedback on two people’s, but I think our teacher offered some very insightful comments. I am almost afraid to watch my tape, though. I don’t think I came across as very sincere, and I know that sometimes my face goes blank when I’m standing up there not doing anything. Also, she had most of the women turn around for a full body shot, and I’m really not excited to see what my rear view looks like when magnified by the camera lens. Time to get motivated to stop eating chocolate and start hitting the gym more often!

This week, we are supposed to watch television and give some thought to our character types. I really don’t know what my type is. Young mom? Girl next door? Quirky friend? I know whose career I’d like to have…Samaire Armstrong’s. She’s got a great recurring role on Entourage (there’s the obsession again!), plus she had those guest-starring episodes on The O.C. last year. Pretty good to have parts on two such hip shows. Problem is, I’m not that young any more. Ahhh! I think this is why Mr. Pink is sometimes not so thrilled with my desire to be an actress. I get all insecure and self-absorbed and spend too much time thinking about the way I look. But appearance is a big part of the deal.

Okay. I have to watch TV this week and find realistic examples of my type. Anyone want to help me out here? Suggestions for the types of parts I could play are welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home