----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Audition News

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Audition News

I was trying something new. I thought that maybe I was jinxing myself by blogging about my auditions as they happened, so I didn't write about either of the auditions I had last week. But it seems to make no difference, as I still have not booked a part. Now I shall tell you about them.

On Wednesday, I went in for a national Jet-Dry commercial--you know, the dishwasher soap. I was told to look clean-cut and "natural" so as to appeal to "middle America." The casting director would also need to see my hands, so I rushed out the evening before to get a manicure. I dressed in khakis and a thin blue cable-knit sweater for the audition and I thought I looked very housewifey. So I went it, slated my name and showed my hands. Then it was time to interact with the Jet-Dry cap. You see, most of the commercial was going to be animated, with Jet-Dry acting as a type of dishwasher superhero. The actress was only going to be in the first few seconds of the shot. So, I had to examine a glass and be exasperated with its water spots, even though it just came out of the dishwasher. Then, I hear a voice saying, "Jet-Dry can help," and lo and behold, the dishwasher soap dispenser is talking to me! So, I had to act very surprised, but also make it funny. Well, reaction shots are tough when you don't have anything to react to. I have new respect for all those actors who are working with green screens and special effects characters to be added in later. Anyway, the callback was on Monday and I didn't get called back. I didn't feel like I did too well, though, so I wasn't expecting a callback. I think I need to work on my facial expressions. Also, this was a SAG commercial, and I'm not yet a SAG member, so in order for the directors to choose me over someone already in SAG, I would have had to have been phenomenally better than everyone else there. And this time, I wasn't.

On Thursday, I went into my agent's office to record a voiceover audition for TV Guide. It's a good thing it wasn't an on-camera audition, because it started to rain and I had no umbrella, so I showed up all damp and disheveled. But I digress. Basically, the audition was to be the voice of TV Guide's automated phone service, like if you want to call up and change your address or something. They were looking for a young, friendly, cheerful voice. This audition I actually felt pretty good about. I went into the booth and read through the whole script, and Tom, the associate agent, told me that I did an excellent job of conveying customer service and friendliness without being too over-the-top. He didn't even want to do a second take! But I haven't heard anything back from that one either, so I guess I didn't get it.

Now I have to be on the lookout for the Jet-Dry commercial with the animated cap, and I'll have to call TV Guide in a few months and see what type of voice they chose. It's so odd to just never get any feedback. The only way to know what they were looking for is to see the finished product!

This week, no auditions. Zip, zilch, nada, bupkis. Maybe next week. Or maybe it will be another dry spell. But I start a new acting class with a new coach on Tuesday, so maybe I'll get some valuable insight from that. I like acting classes--I think I need all the practice I can get!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home