----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Emotions

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Emotions

My husband is starting to be not so thrilled with my acting pursuits. Last week, I was in a great mood because I had three auditions. This week, I'm wan and depressed because I haven't booked any work and I don't have any more auditions on the horizon. "How can I make you happy?" he asks. But there's really nothing he (or anyone) can do to brighten my mood. Right now, everything is just tinged with sadness.

It's not just about the acting, though. I'm having a rough time at work, but of course, I can't write about it here because I learned the hard way that you never know who might be reading. Suffice it to say that my standards and the standards of the publication are not entirely in sync.

I also feel like I have no friends in the area. I've tried to get out and meet new people, but I think that once the college years are over, it's really difficult to meet new people. I went to an event through Bay Area Linkup that was a gathering of women who wanted to make new women friends, but although everyone was very nice, I didn't feel like I had much in common with any of them, since they were all over 40 and divorced. There is an upcoming event for writers that I might check out, though.

Anyway, tonight I tried to make myself feel a little better by using that time-honored feminine pick-me-up...shopping! I just went to Ross, but I found a really cute, cheap pair of shoes that made me smile. They slides with a little heel, and they have sequins all over the front. I also decided that I was in desperate need of comfort food, so I made pasta for dinner. It was sort of a "half-homemade" recipe, but it turned out really well. I browned some extra lean ground beef and then added chopped onion and garlic and fresh basil and oregano and one tomato. Then I poured in a bunch of wine and a bottle of Classico marinara. I let it all simmer for about an hour, added some red pepper flakes and served it over that pasta you can get in the refrigerated section of the grocery store..Buitoni. It tured out really well. Of course, I didn't write any measurements down, so I may never be able to replicate it, but having a comforting meal helped me feel a little better.

Anyone else have any tips for getting over the blues? I'd love to hear them...

2 Comments:

  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Alexandrialeigh said…

    Now that I'm freelancing, I feel that way a lot. I get a great assignment from a well-paying mag with a great editor and I'm elated. Then I sit and wait for the checks to come (so frustrating!) and I get sad and worried about paying bills on time. Then I get one in the mail, and I'm back to being elated.

    I think it takes a sense of patience and will that doesn't come naturally to people (especially creative types), and it just takes work. You have to go out and work really hard to make each day feel like it's worth it. Because it's only you, and there's no crappy boss, etc. to blame in order to make yourself feel better (at least, about the acting part, for you).

    Chin up. It will pass, but there's no guarantee you won't be right back there in a week or so. It's all about how you manage those feelings. And (I think) it takes practice.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    Getting over the blues? I'm all about watching a funny movie where I don't have to utilize my brain. I forget what I was upset about in the first place! :)
    Another good runner-up is surfing through CL - oh, the fun posts on CL!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home