----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Musings on Pop Culture

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Musings on Pop Culture

Because my husband was gone last Thursday to Sunday, I had more time than usual to ponder events on various television shows and movies. Here, some thoughts.

The O.C.
Why, why, why won’t Marissa just tell Ryan that Trey attacked her? Clearly, Ryan has had some issues with his brother in the past, and the guy wound up in jail, for God’s sake. It’s not like Ryan needs to be protected from his brother’s shortcomings—he knows that Trey is no good, and he’s been quick to suspect him of all kinds of nefarious activities in the past. Could Marissa really be concerned that Ryan won’t believe her? Is she worried about retaliation from Trey? Or is she caught up in some kind of misguided “blame the victim” mentality, where she thinks that somehow Trey’s attack was her fault. Please don’t let it be the latter. I know it’s just a TV show, but I hoped that we, as a society, had advanced past scrutinizing the victim’s attire, conduct and past sexual history before determining that she was indeed victimized. I don’t want the O.C. to play into that whole idea! Perhaps we’ll get some closure on tonight’s season finale.

Also, Sandy sure picked a lousy way to tell Kirsten that her dad died. The woman has a drinking problem (and probably an eating disorder)! I always thought he was the sensitive type, but if he can just blurt out that her dad died, maybe he’s not so sensitive after all. I mean, shouldn’t he at least have sat her down on the couch, out of reach of any alcohol in the vicinity?

The Apprentice
Where did bitch Tana come from? I thought she was a sweet and somewhat naïve mom from Iowa, but she sure unleashed the fury (and a few f-bombs) last week. Did she really think she could rally her team members to do a good job by disparaging them? She seemed to think that being an executive means blaming everyone else for whatever goes wrong (hmmm…maybe she’s a better executive than I thought, considering the sorry state of corporate accountability these days). I know a lot of people think Kendra is too whiny, but I think that’s just the way her voice sounds. Poor girl…unless she takes some elocution lessons, there’s probably not much she can do about it. Besides, she’s been the most competent on every task. I don’t think there will be too much suspense during the finale.

Monster-in-Law
I hung out with my parents on Saturday night and we went to see this “comedy.” Actually, parts of it were pretty funny, especially those involving Jane Fonda and Wanda Sykes. But Jennifer Lopez really grates on my nerves. She’s known as such a diva in real life, so I totally didn’t buy her as some hippie-dippy bohemian woman-child, walking dogs and temping for a living. Also, once she got engaged, it seemed like she almost gave up on her “career,” but maybe that was because she was too busy acting wounded from Jane Fonda’s slights. I personally think Jane was in the right, if only because La Lopez is so annoying. I think J.Lo is a little old to be appearing in a movie where she wears multiple sparkly butterfly barrettes in her hair, favors bubblegum-pink lipgloss and plays with her hair when she gets nervous, like when she’s going to meet her fiance’s mother for the first time. Perhaps Hilary Duff would have been better suited to the role.

Now, my husband is back, which is good, because as you can see, when he’s gone, I spend far too much time picking over the minutiae of pop culture. And unless I’m able to parlay it into a fabulously lucrative job writing for Entertainment Weekly, I’m sure I have better things to do with my time…like find a new job with less turmoil, upheaval and soap-opera-like characteristics. But that’s a whole other story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home