----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Looks Divide

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, May 06, 2005

The Looks Divide

So, my darling husband and I were having a very glam night out at the local Chevy's (hey, we had a long week and we needed margaritas and we were too tired to drive into the city and be fabulous) when it hit me that there is an ever-deepening divide between the way that celebrities look and the way the rest of the world looks. Here's what I'm wondering: Will the regular people stage a great uprising against the overly-good-looking celebs, or will the regular people just blithely go about their way, oblivious to the fact that they are genetically lacking?

I just think it's odd that as the rest of America gets fatter and fatter, our celebrities get thinner and blonder and tanner. But I suppose that the more privileged classes have always looked a little better than the regular folks. For instance, the rich were soft and plump because they could afford to have plenty to eat, while the lower classes were skinny and stringy because they had to do hard labor and had no money for extra food. The rich maintained a complexion of pallor because they did not have to do any manual labor under the hot sun. Of course, later on, the rich got tan because they could afford to spend time lolling about in the sun while the more lowly among us slaved away in offices. Also, they could afford to jet off to Aruba for a long weekend in the middle of winter.

So, maybe the obnoxiously good-looking and well-toned celebs are simply par for the course. And maybe we all need that fantasy element in our lives. But sometimes, when I leaf through Entertainment Weekly or watch The O.C., I feel like my looks are woefully inadequate. And then I go out to Chevy's, and I feel like I'm not quite so badly off after all. I start to cheer up and think, "Well, of course Mischa Barton looks fabulous. Looking great is her job, and she has professional help." What do you think? Are celebs setting an impossible standard of beauty, or are regular people becoming ever more slovenly? Or am I just impossibly shallow for even thinking about such trivial issues? (Hey, I'm trying to be an actress--it's practically a law that I be insecure about my looks.)

P.S.--My husband asked me not to write that we went to Chevy's. He thinks it makes us sound like white trash. Whatever...he certainly enjoyed his grande margarita!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home