----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Audition

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, March 28, 2005

The Audition

Pink Lemonade Diva kindly reminded me that I never posted an update about my audition. Unfortunately, I did not get the part. But the audition experience itself was fairly interesting.

When I got there, several other actors were clustered about, chatting and laughing as if they had known each other for years. The girls were all skinnier than me (and I'm fairly slim), and they all had longer, shinier hair. The boys were fresh-scrubbed and chipper and reminded me of the type that I used to date until I realized that I really needed someone who would let me be the dramatic one, and who could make me laugh on a regular basis.

Anyway, I handed over my headshot and then the photographer took a Polaroid of me and attached it to the back. I think Polaroids are specifically designed to be unflattering, but whatever. Then I sat in a little folding seat and listened to the chatter and waited my turn. The receptionist seemed to be getting quite flustered. I waited nearly half an hour, during which time I read the description of the role I was up for several times. It did not enlighten me.

People were being called in in pairs, one boy, one girl. Finally, it was my turn, and I was called in with someone who was my complete physical opposite. Me: petite, dark hair, pink sweater. Him: freakishly tall, golden blond, red t-shirt. I'm sure we looked great together on camera. Anyway, we slated our names and showed our profiles, just like I'd learned in class! Then we did our little bit. The casting director provided us with a blanket in a bag to serve as our tarp and with a folding table, to serve as the roof. First, tall guy carried the tarp and threw it over the table, with me as his faithful assistant. Then, the casting director asked us to do it again, more business-like. This time, it was my turn to take the lead. We did basically the same thing; we just smiled less.

That was about it. I was all worried that I hadn't been "creative" or "energetic" enough, but when I went to my acting class tonight and told my coach about it, he said that in a situation like that, they're just looking for two people who look good and are believable together. So this time they didn't choose my particular look. But it's good practice. And maybe next time will be my turn to shine!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    Nothing like throwing tarp around to make you feel like you are truly "acting".

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Colorful Stationery said…

    Thanks for posting about your audition experience. It is always interesting the hear what other actors go through.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home