----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Miscellany

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Miscellany

On Friday, much to my amazement, I learned that theGeorge Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic song that I had always thought of as "Last Night" was, in fact, titled "Flashlight." Odd. I had always thought it was about what went on with some nubile girl last night,and now I find out it's about a Maglite. I guess Ishould have listened to the lyrics more carefully...they do go on about spotlights and green lights and so forth. You think that might have tipped me off. This isn't a modegren on the level of "there's a bathroom on right" instead of "there's a bad moon on the rise," but it was amusing nonetheless. Do you have any mangled song lyrics to share?

Yesterday, I was slogging through traffic when I passed by a van from Spyrka Electric. Emblazoned upon it was the slogan, "For all your current needs!" I thought that was pretty clever...it's a play on words that hasn't been done to death, unlike "Curl Up and Dye Hair Salon," for example. And since it takes me 45 minutes to commute 14 miles, I am definitely in need of a smile in the mornings.

Also occuring yesterday: a woman dressed as a whore showed up at our place of business. We don't work at a particularly sexy business, so this was all the more disconcerting. And it was only 10 o'clock in themorning, which by any standard is a little too early for streetwalker gear. Doesn't anyone remember Mammy's admonition to Scarlett O'Hara about not showing one's shoulders before noon? And this woman was showing a lot more than her shoulders, believe me. She was wearing a tight orange halter neck top with no bra underneath (very obvious nipples), a short denim miniskirt that barely grazed her thighs, lots and lots of jewelry (including an anklet...not the kind Martha Stewart has to wear, though), heavily-applied makeup, and those spike-heeled, slip-on Lucite shoes, more commonly known as "stripper shoes." She also had long, bleached-blonde hair with dark roots that was desperately in need of a hot oil treatment. Perhaps worst of all, she was in her mid-40s, at least. But maybe she was younger and it was just all the sun damage that made her look so drawn and leathery. Anyway, she was old enough to know better. I don'te ven know why she was there, but she did bring us all some delicious coffee cake, so I guess that makes her a hooker with a heart of gold.

So, those are my random observations for the day. I am considering giving this blog more of a cohesive theme,b ut sometimes I just like to share whatever it is that catches my eye. And it's been very difficult to write on a consistent basis lately. Working full-time and taking classes and having a husband is very hard. In a good way. Usually. Oftentimes. Mostly. Frequently. Okay. The end.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for noticing my company, my van. i am glad i put a smile on your face for the day.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for noticing our company. we glad we could put a smile on your face.
    scott spyrka
    spyrka electric

     

Post a Comment

<< Home