----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Acting Pursuits

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Acting Pursuits

I started my new acting class on Monday, and we've got an interesting mix of people this time, to say the least. There are three people who have worked with the coach before, myself included, but only two of those people have really made progress. And yes, I humbly include myself as one of the two. Now, I am not a casting director or an agent, so maybe I have no right to be judgmental, but nonetheless, I will give my impressions. Here are the other people in the class:

1. A man with an Irish accent so thick as to be nearly unintelligible. Would fit right in in an Irish Spring commercial. Can't seem to follow directions--maybe he can't hear very well.
2. A man who believes in possession and, as far as I can tell, believes that he is a psychic healer. Admires men who were known for bending spoons with their minds and stuff. Round and moist, with thick glasses.
3. A woman of indeterminate age who seems to be taking tips from the Diana Ross school of beauty. The eyeliner, though, harkens back to Cleopatra. Seems quiet, unemotional and unassuming.
4. A younger woman with feet that seem too small to support her body--sort of like a Weeble-Wobble. Is an uptalker, if you know what I mean? She ends every sentence like a question?
5. The other woman who has taken this class before. At least I can relate to her.

I think that it might be time for me to move on to a more advanced class. I really like the coach, but it seems as though he mostly works with beginners. It will be interesting to see how the class coalesces. Ah, well, I, too, was once a rank beginner. Not that I'm super-successful now or anything...I just think I'm a little bit further along the path to working professionally. And this group seems to be an extra odd assortment. We'll see what sort of wacky fun ensues!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home