----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Gainfully Employed Once More

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Gainfully Employed Once More

I got a job offer today. Not an acting job offer, unfortunately, but a real, legitimate, well-paying job offer. I haven't formally accepted yet, but I plan to tomorrow. The people seem nice, it's a good amount of responsibility and it's in journalism, the field I actually earned my master's degree in. Plus, I'll be making the most money I've ever made. I know I should be really, really excited. But mainly, I just feel relieved. Relieved that we'll be able to pay our bills and actually save some money for a change!

So why am I not jumping for joy? Precisely because it's not an acting job. Call me crazy, call me naive, but when I sent out all my headshots, I really thought that this was it, that I would find an agent and start auditioning and actually start to make some money as an actress. I know it's not that easy or that quick, but I felt like I was really prepared this time. I also know that just because I have this job doesn't mean that I won't be able to work as an actress, should I get an agent and start having some auditions. I just won't have such a flexible schedule.

All in all, it's really for the best, though. I think I will like working for this company, and I think I'll like my coworkers. I won't be writing about them, of course, since I have learned my lesson that blogging and working should not mix. But it seems like a growing company, and they are very excited about hiring me. It's great to be wanted. And the money is very welcome, indeed. It's also a much better career move for me than my last horrible job was. So I guess it all works out. I think I'll be more excited once I actually start, too. And as for the acting thing, who knows what will happen? I'll just have to see how it plays out. So yay! I am once again a productive member of society!

6 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Kelly Love said…

    Congrats on the new job! I know how it feels to be torn between "workin for the man" and your "creative pursuits." For what it's worth, you can't practice your art if you can't pay the light bill, so it's a necessary evil. You might not be jumping up and down now, but sometimes life takes us where we're supposed to go (hope that doesn't sound too new age-y!)

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Astera: Congrats on the new job. Hope things will work out for you. And for your dreams of acting, don't ever lose them. Who knows maybe in next week's mail, you may land that much sought-after agent and the wonderful things that will follow. You must at least feel relieved.

    Kanenas

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations, girl! I'm so glad for you that you're feeling good about this one. Hi-5s from me and George.
    -Sarah

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CONGRATULATIONS!!! I like exclamation points too, must run in the family. Anyways, I got your message last night but was unable to return the call as the bottle of wine I started drinking only had one glass left in it. How are people expected to drunk dial when the cell phone buttons are so small? Well, I am happy you have got some money coming in. As for me, my sanity is coming apart on every front. It's scary.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    Congrats on the new job! Welcome to the society of working stiffs. It's not all that exciting, but it sorta pays the bills. I'm hoping to retire by 30 so that I can pursue my REAL dreams then...a prostitute in a window in Amsterdam...my dad always said that I should dream as BIG as possible! ;-)

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Congratulations! This is when it'll start getting interesting too; now we get to see if you miss pursuing the acting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home