----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Height

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Height

People are always surprised when they find out how tall I am. I'm 5-foot-1, barely, but everyone thinks I'm taller. This issue most recently came up when we were discussing a co-worker's new baby and how she would probably wind up being tall. I made a comment about how, since I'm 5'1" and my husband is 5'8" (barely), we'll probably have tiny kids. And that's when everyone looked at me in disbelief and said, "You're only 5'1"? I thought you were taller."

Why is this, I wonder? It's not like I wear super-high heels every day. My favorite boots probably do add a couple of inches, but I'm not teetering around on Manolos or anything. And when the weather warms up, I'm a big fan of flip-flops. Not the platform kind--the really flat kind.

I think I create the illusion of height because although I'm short, I'm not tiny. I'm not a little bird girl--I'm proportioned like a regular-sized person instead of like a small child. Even my feet are a fairly average size--6-and-a-half or 7. But I still have to shop in the petites section, and it infuriates me to no end that the Gap stores its smallest size jeans on the highest shelf. Doesn't that seem counterintuitive? Maybe they think they are catering to the tall, skinny supermodels.

Of course, I'd like to think that people assume I'm taller than I am because I have such a commanding presence. But then I'd just be flattering myself. I'm no shrinking violet, though--a co-worker recently accused me of being "combative," but the word around the office is that he's intimidated by me. Anyway, short women, join with me in projecting an aura of power and confidence. And remember...sometimes those really high heels just draw attention to your lack of God-given height.

For discussion: How tall are you? How tall do you say you are? How tall do you think you appear to others?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm actually 5'4 1/2", but of course I tell everyone that I'm 5'5". I mean, who wouldn't right? I think that people think that I'm a bit taller because I'm taller than most people (I live in Asia where people are generally shorter). Anyways, I recently noticed that I slouch a bit so I've made the conscious effort to stand up straighter, so now I feel taller and I think that I exude more confidence.

    -Shari

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Katie said…

    Are the petite jeans really on the top shelf? That's awful!

    I'm 5'7'' and actually the shortest of my siblings, which is funny b/c it always comes up, yet others always comment how tall I am.

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    It's a good thing you're not 4'11" because then you would be a midget, officially. Then, I would have to make fun of you. Hmmm...I may already do that every once in awhile as it is....
    Am I considered short? I'm 5'5" and I feel short. Maybe it's because most of my other friends are 5'7" or taller....
    Astera, I think I need to hang out with you more so that I can feel taller... ;-)
    "I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller. I wish I had a rabbit in a hat..."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home