----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: At Least I'm Not That Desperate....

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

At Least I'm Not That Desperate....

More fun with Craigslist! This is a posting from the "talent" section of the San Francisco board.

Actor; your bike for role in my film! :) (READ CAREFULLY)
You: Actor between 5'7" and 5'11. You must be able to handle a horse and also have a great sense of comic ability. This is a major motion picture romantic comedy being shot entirely on location in New Orleans. I am the Director, Producer, Writer and I live in San Francisco. SAG member, not necessary. If you are, than you will sign "financial core" status with Union. By the way, you will get paid. The bike barter is to show me you want the role. Description of the character: Lanky, energetic with Charisma. Many lines. Supporting role to lead actor. This individual should be between 29-40 years of age and be in great shape. The Bike: Must be anything over 650 cc. You will sign the title over to me. You will provide me with a written estimate of what the bike is worth. I will take delivery of the bike now, you will get paid for the bike when you show up on location in New Orleans. Anticipating an August or September shoot. Email jpegs, resume and bike details. I expect a lot of responses; so don't delay. I am taking this film to the Oscars! When we have a deal, I will send you the script, synopsis, director's notes and of course a Terms of Service Agreement. Show me what you are made of! Time to get off your bike and get your career going! Good Luck

Well, call me cynical, but it sounds to me like this guy is just looking for a free bike. You'll sign over the title, he'll take delivery now and you'll get paid when you show up in New Orleans at some unspecified date? Honey, this scam artist and your bike will be long gone by the time that happens!

I know from first-hand experience that the entertainment industry is full of people who are morally bankrupt, but usually they're a lot more subtle about their scheming ways. I can't imagine wanting a part so badly that I would fall for something like this! I pity the poor, dumb, desperate actor who actually thinks he might be able to get a part by bribing this guy with his motorcycle.

Oh, and just in case any of you out there were confused, directors/writers/producers with "major motion pictures" who are capable of "taking a film to the Oscars" don't do business this way. They don't hand out roles to unkowns, even if those unknowns are willing to give away a bike in the process. Good thing the title of the ad cautioned me to read carefully...otherwise, I might have missed this glaringly obvious scam!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    Hey, you gotta give the guy some credit for creativity. Not very smart, but somewhat creative. I give him a B-.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home