----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Katrina

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina

I am lucky. My friend who lives in New Orleans evacuated safely to Charleston. She's lucky, too--she had somewhere to go and a way to get there. But what about the hundreds of thousands of others who aren't so lucky? What about the people who have lost everything, who have no food and no clean water to drink?

This is devastation on a grand scale, and I hope the country will pull together for these victims as we did for the tsunami victims and the 9/11 survivors. I want to do something, but I almost don't know what to do. I guess a donation to the Red Cross would be a good place to start. I have a bunch of clothes that I was going to donate to the Goodwill, but they might do more good in Louisiana or Mississippi right now than they would here in my affluent suburb. But it might be hard to get clothes to the right people, so I think a monetary donation would be best.

How do you feel? What can we do to help?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    It is quite a shame about Katrina. Goodwill apparently is accepting donations of clothes and whatnot specifically for the victims out there. That's what I heard on the radio this morning. I was thinking of doing that.

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You say your friend was lucky? She wasn't lucky. She simply used her brain. She heeded warnings from top officials. She got in her car (or a friend's car, or a bus, or taxi) and LEFT TOWN. There is no luck involved.

    It's amazing how many able-bodied citizen I saw at the Superdome. The only people that didn't get what they deserved are the elderly and sick...of whom SHOULD have been evacuated by the MAYOR 2 days beforehand.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Astera said…

    Wow, Anonymous, I am amazed by your caring and compassion for your fellow man and woman.

    "The only people that didn't get what they deserved are the elderly and sick." Now, there's a chilling statement. Apparently, ou're saying that everyone else in New Orleans deserved to die or be injured or lose everything they had.

    My friend WAS lucky. She had a working car, money and a place to evacuate to. Let me tell you why people didn't evacuate, in case you're too ignorant to read the newspaper. Many of those able-bodied people you saw were desperately poor. They didn't have cars or friends with cars, and even if they had money to take a bus or a taxi, where would they have gone? If they didn't have relatives nearby, where were they supposed to stay? Hotels and motels cost money, and that adds up when you might not be allowed to return home for weeks or months. It's not like these poor people could just pull their SUV out of the garage, grab their AmEx and speed off to their second home on higher ground.

    If you think I'm talking down to you, well, I am. Your comment is completely ignorant. I really hope you are not one of my friends posting anonymously. If you are, I don't like you anymore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home