----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: So Long, Farewell...

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, July 29, 2005

So Long, Farewell...

Today was my last day as a full-time employee at my job. However, I will be continuing on as a contractor, writing from home and occasionally visiting the office to help out with copy editing and the like.

For the most part, I feel pretty positive about this change of status. It was inspired, in fact, by a Mark Morford column that I referenced in my post, "Exactly!" I don't like working full-time (who does, honestly?), and I have recently had a lot of health issues to take care of. In fact, for several months I was suffering from such debilitating migraines that my neurologist suggested it was unhealthy for me to be working full-time and offered to write me a letter to that effect. And, of course, there was the lure of the acting world. Basically, I decided that I needed a more flexible schedule, and I approached our HR woman about reducing my hours. She thought that was a fine idea; however, the president of the company disagreed. And thus, I find myself as a contract employee. I have to admit, it's not exactly how I envisioned the situation playing out, but I think it will be for the best.

In addition to the work that I will be doing for my former employer, I also have another steady client, and in the past, I have done proofreading for a local marketing company, so I plan to try and pick that up once more. And, I went on a go-see yesterday for a Network Associates print ad. I'm sure they were seeing hundreds of women, but if they choose me, it pays $2,000 for a day's work--not bad.

So here's the plan:
  1. Get healthy
  2. Develop lucrative freelance clientele
  3. Become fabulous actress
  4. Write best-selling novel

Hmm...well, maybe we'll focus on the first two for now.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    "So long, farewell....we'll see you soon! Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye from __________!!!!" Where is that song from??? ;-)

    I hope you feel better soon! Constant migraines can't be a good thing! Seriously, focus on getting healthy. That's the MOST IMPORTANT thing!!!!!!!! I hate to sound like a mom, but....are you still drinking your green tea everyday? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you getting enough fresh air and exercise? Also, stay away from caffeine. That only makes headaches worse, from what I understand....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home