----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Latest Audition

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Latest Audition

Yesterday, I went to try out for Wait Until Dark, a play being put on by a community theater group. I was all excited about it. I rented the movie (Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin--very creepy. It's about a blind woman who is terrorized by drug dealers trying to get back a doll stuffed with heroin) and I checked out the script from the library. Then I realized that there was only one role for someone my age...the lead role, aka the Audrey Hepburn part.

Anyway, that realization dampened my enthusiasm a little bit. I haven't auditioned for any live theater in a long time, and this is a pretty polished community theater group. I figured I'd be up against a lot of competition. But the director had me read from several different scenes, and I ended up feeling pretty good. Then I came home and looked at the performance dates and realized that I would be at a good friend's wedding for one of the performance weekends. Oh well, I figured. The odds were against me, and besides, I couldn't do it anyway.

I wasn't expecting to hear back until Monday, because the director was holding auditions again this evening. But wouldn't you know it? This morning, the producer called me to offer me a callback time! "Well," I thought, "Maybe they're planning to double-cast the part, so if I got it, I could split performances with another actress." No such luck, according to the producer. They might double-cast the little girl's part, but they wanted consistency for the lead.

Even though I can't go, I feel really flattered to have gotten a callback, especially so quickly. And the producer said he hoped I'd stay involved with the group. So that feels good. But on the other hand, I'm a little bummed out that I can't even give it a shot. I mean, it's a good play and a great part. I'd love to be the lead! It's just bad timing, I guess. Obviously, my friend's wedding is more important. I'm a bridesmaid, and I've known her since the fourth grade. It's going to be a wonderful celebration. And it's not like the play is a Broadway performance or anything. I'll have other opportunities to be onstage...soon, I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home