----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Exactly!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Exactly!

This columnist, Mark Morford from SFGate, has perfectly expressed how I feel about work. Here's the opening line:

"There remains this enormous and wicked sociocultural myth. It is this: Hard work is all there is."

You can read the whole column here. Basically, the idea is that we are all so conditioned to get a job and work that we never stop to consider our options. For example, why should we spend eight or nine hours a day, five days a week, at a desk, giving ourselves eyestrain and carpal tunnel syndrome? Why should we live for the weekends and our paltry 10 days of vacation? Why should our employers have the power? Why shouldn't we say, Enough! and find ways to fulfill our own dreams?

Whenever I complain about my job, people tell me that's just the way of the world. No one likes his or her job. Jobs are a necessary evil. But why should I accept that? Why should I not try to fashion my own way of living and working? Enough talk. That is exactly what I plan to do. And I have a few ideas. It may take some time to put them in play, but working full-time for someone else is not my ultimate game plan. Even if I can't make a living as an actress, I have some other ideas that will free me from the drudgery of an 8 to 5 job (and that's another thing...when did "full-time" get expanded to mean nine or 10 hours or more?). It doesn't have to be this way, people! Workers, unite!