----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Strange, But True

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Strange, But True

I haven't written about this yet because it seemed so unreal. But I think now it's actually going to happen, so I thought I'd share. I have been cast as the lead in a short film called "The Winemaker." Here's the description of the role:

THE WINE MAKER / Female / Caucasian / 21-25 The Wine Maker is a young woman, sweet, cute, warm, beautiful but not sexy, and looks younger than her actual age. She wants to buy a bottle of wine for her boyfriend till fate changes for the better.The most IMPORTANT role of them all!!!!! Required to be filmed for possibly four days: San Bruno, San Francisco and Napa. Be prepared to film one scene at night and have flexible working schedule. The wine tasting room will be shot on a Tues or Weds because it's the slower day for customers. Napa will be required all day with customers. So basically that is: flexible working schedule, available all day if needed, and can work four days. This is a really great lead but it requires a lot. But it's a rewarding role, nonetheless. But if you can't be flexible and work all day, this isn't the role for you. You have to be willing to travel to Napa.Wardrobe: She should dress in casual attire but until at the end of the movie in really nice and beautiful dated attire. Will discuss this will director in terms of look of costume.

Well, I was really excited about this part because my family has connections in Napa. So, I emailed off my headshot and resume, and a few days later, the director called me to chat about the project. He said he'd send me the script, and it's actually a really cute story. Essentially, the Winemaker can't afford the wine she wants to buy for her boyfriend, so she decides to make her own wine and sell it to make money--an adult twist on the corner lemonade stand. (Obviously, this is totally fantastical, but go with it, okay?) Her homemade wine is a big success. So, she makes enough money to buy the good wine, and she brings it to her boyfriend's birthday party, but it turns out to be not so good after all. Luckily, she still has a bottle of her homemade wine, which saves the party.

So, after I'd read the script, the director called me and asked if I could begin shooting this weekend. I told him that we were having some out-of-town guests and that I was scheduled to audition for a play, and besides, I wasn't really clear on what he wanted me to do. He said, "Oh, I want you to play the Winemaker." I couldn't believe it...why would he cast me without ever meeting me or auditioning me? But this is just a really low-budget project for fun, so I guess that he liked the look of my picture and thought that I'd be committed enough to actually show up for the shoot.

I was a little weirded out at first, but we've spoken on the phone and gone back and forth over email, and he seems slightly kooky, but basically okay. He's done a short film before and entered it in small local film festivals. It won an award for best short comedy at the Berkeley festival. Also, I discussed the whole situation with my acting teacher, and she thought it sounded like a cute project for me. So, I'm meeting the director for coffee on Monday, and we'll see if this project is able to actually get off the ground. It's no pay, but if it comes to fruition, at least I'll finally have some tape for my reel. I'll keep you all posted...

1 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! That sounds like fun! (See you tomorrow.)

    Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home