----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Winemaker

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Winemaker

On Monday, I had a meeting with the producer/director/cinematographer/writer of the short film I've been cast in. I was expecting him to be a little weird, and that's exactly what he was. Maybe more than a little. He seems really young and he's got this sort of high-pitched, nasal voice that just adds to the impression. Apparently, he still lives at home with his parents and he doesn't drive. I guess that's not that weird--after all, we're not in L.A., and there is some modicum of public transportation up here--but still. Anyway, he seems harmless, so the shoot is on for this weekend. I still am not entirely sure he can pull it off, though, especially when he emailed me yesterday to say that the guy playing the boyfriend flaked out. But then he emailed again and said he found a replacement, so we'll see.

Here's the thing: I am doing this project because I'm the lead and because I need to get some film on myself so I can make a demo reel. Also, I really like the script. But even though this guy has made short films before, he seems a little clueless about how best to work with people. For instance, he keeps saying that this is a no-budget project. Fine. Most small projects are. But it seems like he could offer some incentive to the cast to make them want to stay involved. He complains about people flaking out, but then he expects them to bring their own food to the shoot and bring a bunch of costume changes and sit out in the hot sun all day. Also, he needs someone to drive him to the shoot in Napa and he claims he can't even pitch in for gas! Then he wonders why people aren't committed to his project. Well, dude, what's in it for them? Especially for the people who are going to be extras. Extra work is always a thankless task, but at least on a studio picture you get minimum wage and free food! Anyway, the lack of incentives is why I am not convinced that the shoot will actually happen. These people aren't particularly invested in the project and it's going to be a long, hot day with no compensation of any kind, so why should they have any qualms about not showing if something better comes up? I'm not saying that sort of flaky behavior is right, but it's certainly understandable in this case.

Anyway, I am supposed to be in San Bruno with hair and makeup already done at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday. That means getting up at 6:00 a.m. on a weekend, which, as those of you who know me understand, is a very big sacrifice. And I will be pissed off if I am the only one there! But I really am trying to keep an open mind. I think it's really a case of "expect the worst and hope for the best." I just hope it doesn't turn out to be even worse than I am expecting!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me make sure I understand your comments - you are working with a young person who is trying to find their way in film. Along the way that person is making mistakes - I can undersatnd why you would take the opportunity to slam them instead of admiring their heart and effort. You are a sweetheart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home