----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Birthdays!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Birthdays!

Yesterday was my husband's birthday, and today is my birthday. It's time to celebrate!

My husband, Mr. Pink, usually doesn't like his birthday. He doesn't like Christmas or Halloween or any other holidays that much, either. I think it's because his parents got divorced when he was young, and so until his mom got remarried, he never had happy fun family holidays. But I am doing my best to change that! I baked him cookies and delivered them to his office along with a balloon and a CD. I made sure to keep his present a surprise. I counseled his parents and my parents on what gifts he would like. I baked him cupcakes and decorated them with candles that spelled out "Happy Birthday." And I took him out to dinner at a fabulous restaurant where he could have ahi, his favorite.

There were a few hiccups, however. For instance, I special-ordered him a bike for his birthday (the Rat Rod, by Electra). I told the shop over and over when I needed it, and I impressed upon them that it was a super-secret birthday surprise. So what happened when I went to pick it up? It wasn't ready! They asked me to come back later, but I had already driven out of my way, so I insisted that they finish while I wait. Luckily, it didn't take too much longer. Then, we were supposed to have dinner at the very hip and hard-to-get-a-reservation-at A16 in San Francisco. It recently made San Francisco magazine's list of top 50 restaurants. We were on the road in plenty of time, but for some reason, traffic screeched to a halt, just like it was morning rush hour. We were going to miss our reservation, and we figured that they'd make us wait forever if we showed up late, so we cancelled our hard-won spot and ended up at E&O Trading Company, a Pan-Asian place in Larkspur. They were swamped, but we had a very nice meal. Then when we got home, my family came over and we all sang happy birthday and ate Funfetti cupcakes.

Today was my turn to celebrate. I slept in and then went down to have a spray-on tan, which I normally never do, but it turned out well. My brother, Esquire, called me all the way from his vacation in Greece to say happy birthday. And I got birthday cards, phone calls and emails from many other friends, too. Even my agent sent me a card! I had lunch with Mr. Pink and I got to have chocolate-covered cheesecake for dessert. Then I luxuriated by having a manicure and pedicure. And then Mr. Pink came home from work and gave me my present--a bike by Electra! Great minds think alike, I guess. And mine is so cool. It's the Tiki model, and it has pink flowers on it and a cool tiki seat. I love it. We just rode around the cul-de-sac like we were kids again. Although we are not. This is the last year of my 20s, and Mr. Pink has been in his 30s for a few years now. Ah, well.

Now, I must hurry and pack, for we are headed up to Truckee for the weekend. We're going to stop and have dinner at P.F. Chang's. Even though it's a chain, I love it. We ate there frequently when we lived in L.A., but the closest one to us now is in Sacramento. It's on the way to Truckee, though, so it works out well. And there is more celebrating to come--we'll be doing something with my family this weekend. Yay! I love birthdays!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    ok, the similar gift thing is adorable. Plus, my brother just bought his and hers Elektras for him and wife too. Must see what this bike is all about!

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    From one fabulous Leo to another fabulous Leo - Happy Birthday MONTH!!!! teehee! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home