----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: A Compliment

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, February 24, 2006

A Compliment

So, when you write for trade magazines, as I do, you don't expect much in the way of recognition. And I write for small magazines that cover pretty boring topics and don't pay particularly well. Oh, the glory of it all!

Because I am one of the best and most reliable writers, I get the juciest assignments. That's all relative, of course, but I recently wrote about the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, which is really an outstanding project. I thought I turned in a pretty good article, or at least one that wasn't terribly dry. And then I didn't think much more about it.

Today, I got a handwritten note in the mail from a woman that I spoke with at the architect's office. She wrote," your cover story on Vanderbilt Children's Hospital is amazing! The copy is beautifully written and tells a very comprehensive, accurate story." Now, she's a part of the story, so maybe she's not totally objective, but that still made my day. It's always nice to be recognized, even if it's just for a little story in a little magazine that maybe 5,000 people read.

The note means a lot to me, and I'm glad the woman took the time to write it and send it in the mail. Somehow, an email wouldn't be nearly as meaningful. Let's keep handwritten letters and notes alive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home