----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: An Unwanted Phone Call

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, April 10, 2006

An Unwanted Phone Call

Something disturbing happened to me the other day. I was walking out the door when the phone rang, and I answered it, even though the Caller ID said "Unkown Caller." When Mr. Pink calls me from work, it usually comes up as "Unkown Caller," so I figured it was probably him.

How wrong I was. A woman's voice came over the line, mangling my name, so I knew right away it was a telemarketer of some sort. She said she was calling from Congressman So-and-So's office and the Republican National Committee. If this had been a movie, that's where the record player would have screeched to a stop. I cut her off as quickly as possible. "I AM NOT a Republican," I answered indignantly, "and I do not wish to be called by the Republican National Committee." Then I hung up, with perhaps a little more force than was strictly necessary.

I couldn't believe it. How did these people get my number? Now I am paranoid. I have to check my voter registration to make sure I am not erroneously registered with the wrong party. But everything was fine when I voted in the last election. I do have some Republican friends, though. Maybe one of them has given my name out for fundraising efforts. Or maybe it's a simple mix-up. I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home