----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Fabulous Week

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Fabulous Week

**NOTE: Okay, I am still having terrible Internet difficulties, and Earthlink does not seem to care about solving them. But for now, I have a connection, so let's hope it lasts until I can finish this post!**

So what made the last week of April so fabulous? Well, there were several good things that happened. First of all, I attended my talent agency's 20th anniversary party, which turned out to be a surprisingly good time. I was a little intimidated at first, because I thought it would be full of gorgeous, swanky people who were all super-successful and would look down on me for being such a neophyte. But the part was full of "real" people ("real" people is the buzzword in commercial casting right now, and has been for a while, I guess), and they were all quite friendly. It was funny...it was a party full of actors, and still, predictably, the bartender was an actor. Also, some local casting directors were there, so it was good for me to be out and be seen. And, I ran into a friend of a friend, which was a fun coincidence.

The next morning, I attended a staff meeting at a real estate agency where I have been recruited to work. I really enjoyed meeting the staff and learning about how the agency is run. It's the product of a woman who has been in business for herself for many years, and she is now expanding, which makes for intriguing opportunities. It got me excited about making the career move into real estate. As I see it, I'll have higher earning power, but I'll still be able to keep several of my freelance writing clients on the side. It will be tough to work on commission only, but my parents are selling their home this summer, so I should have one nice listing all ready to go once I get my license. I take the test May 22.

On Thursday, I assisted two friends with the gala grand opening of their beauty salon, and I must say it was a smashing success. First of all, the space is beautiful. It's full of crystal chandeliers and Art Deco touches, which really make it stand out. Secondly, we had delicious food (some of which I made with my own two hands, thank you very much), and finally there was champagne for everyone. That's a winning combination! Many, many people came by, and I hope that will translate into increased clientele for the salon. If you're ever in Petaluma and need a haircut, a facial, or a wax, stop by Rouge on Kentucky Street. You will not be disappointed.

On Friday, I had a meeting with the head of the real estate agency where I will eventually be working, and I got some copywriting and copyediting business from her. Plus, I got the chance to know her a little better, and she seems like a great person to work for. Very successful, with lots of integrity. So, I gained a new client for Lucid Ink, which is the new name under which I am doing business. Pretty cool. She also gave me permission to market my copywriting services to other agents in the company, which I did today, and I already have two takers!

Finally, on Sunday, I hosted my first open house. I was working with a licensed agent, and it was great to have people come in and chat with them about their wants and needs. I'm not thrilled about working on weekends, but it's only for a few hours at a time, and I enjoyed showing the home and talking with lots of different people.

So, to sum up: fun parties, new clients, and increased confidence that pursuing a career in real estate will be satisfying (and lucrative!) Not bad for one week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home