----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Salad Days

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Salad Days

How hard is it to make a salad? I would say, not very hard at all, but I was proven wrong a few days ago.

I was having lunch at some sports bar with Mr. Pink. Not my choice, but he assured me it was good. It was quite clean and new, although it did have some cheesy name, like Glory Days or something, so that it could appeal to all the old, washed-up ex-jocks who now live in the suburbs and must rely on their memories of scoring the winning touchdown to enliven their sad, sad daily existence. Or maybe the restaurant owner just thought it was a good name.

Anyway, I didn't feel like ordering the traditional sports bar food (hamburger, chicken wings, french fries, or pretty much anything that's deep-fried), so I went for a salad. On the menu, the description sounded pretty good. It was chipotle-glazed chicken breast on a bed of greens with corn, black beans, roasted red peppers and avocade. But the salad did not live up to its billing. It had some chicken, a bunch of iceberg lettuce, and five black beans. Our waitress had disappeared, of course, but some other guy came to check on us. I mentioned that the salad was not what I was expecting and explained that it was supposed to have a lot of other stuff in it, like red peppers. "I am so sorry," he said as he whisked the offending salad away.

Moments later, he was back with a new salad. "This is really embarrassing for me, because I'm one of the owners," he said. Oh, really? Then why was the salad he brought back only marginally improved? It had a few more black beans and some red peppers, but still no corn or avocado. I mean, come on! All the ingredients for the salad are listed right on the menu! It shouldn't be that hard to get it right!

I really wanted some avocado, but of course, then the part-owner disappeared. Finally, our waitress returned, and she was kind enough to bring me some avocado.

Mr. Pink had a hamburger. He said it was good. Maybe you're just not supposed to order salads in sports bars. But then it shouldn't have been on the menu. I mean, seriously...don't put a salad on the menu and list all the ingredients if the kitchen staff isn't going to adhere to that ingredient list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home