----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Little. Yellow. Different.

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Little. Yellow. Different.

No, the headline doesn't refer to Nuprin. Do they even sell that anymore?

My little, yellow, different pills are also known as "Mother's Little Helper." That's right..for the next few days, I'll be popping the Valium. Just the latest in my long line of health ailments. When will it stop? I exercise. I go to Pilates. I work on my mind-body connection. I eat my fruits and vegetables. And yet, my body has turned against me.

This time, it's all about stress. My neck and shoulders have always been tense...well, that may be an understatement. Most of the time, my traps feel as hard as rocks. So Monday, they finally called it quits. I couldn't move my neck and my arms started to go numb. When I went to the doctor, she told me that my sore muscles were sending pain signals to my brain, and my brain then thought that the muscles needed to be braced and stabilized, leading to even more pain. She could tell I was in a lot of pain, because every time she tried to touch my neck or shoulders, I flinched. So, she instructed me to change the ergonomics of my home office setup. She also prescribed the little yellow pills, telling me to take half a tablet with breakfast, half with lunch, half with dinner and one to two at bedtime. But since I want to be sentient, I have not been following the recommended dosage. I feel spacey enough just taking half a tab during the day and one at night. I must say, though, the pills are quite effective at controlling the pain. It's like floating!

The main thing that causes the pain to flare up is working at my desk on my laptop. The doctor says there's actually no way to make a laptop ergonomically friendly, so it may be time to spring for a desktop model. In the meantime, I am supposed to be staying off the computer, but I have work to do. Plus, I'm kind of addicted to reading news on the Internet. Anyway, I have to finish this post before Mr. Pink gets home, because he has threatened to take my computer away and hide it until my muscles are healed. So, if I don't check in for awhile, it's because Mr. Pink has followed through on his threat. I know he is just trying to protect me, but come on...I'm a big girl!

Still, maybe it is for the best. I can feel my muscles tightening even with this little bit of typing. So, maybe I should give it a rest!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    Give it a rest already!!!! Maybe you can join computer-holics anonymous! I think they need to start such a group, considering the state of most people these days.....I need a phone-aholic group.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home