----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: The Hiatus is Over!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, September 08, 2006

The Hiatus is Over!

Even though the new year technically starts in January, September always feels like a fresh slate to me. And with all the changes I've been through recently, I'm ready for a new start. It's been more than a month since my blowout birthday bash, and in that time, I have:
  • engaged in the most horrendous moving process ever;
  • participated in a groom's last night out (good times at Captain Cream's!);
  • attended a wedding where grown men in their late 20s started a food fight;
  • gone to a christening;
  • attended two other fabulous 30th birthday parties; and
  • changed careers.

So, I've been a little busy. But to be fair, the career change thing has been in the works for a while. I just changed offices recently. I am now an officially licensed REALTOR for a well-known firm in my county, and I am hosting my first big open house this weekend! It is exciting and scary at the same time, especially because I don't know when I'll receive my next paycheck. I am still writing and copy editing, but because Mr. Pink and I want to own a home, and because that would be impossible if we were both only making "creative people" salaries, I decided to take a new path. Of course, I have impeccable timing. I am getting into real estate just as the market is cooling off. But I have faith that I can be successful!

In our efforts to save for a home, Mr. Pink and I took a hard look at our finances and income (or my lack of income for the time being), and we added up how much we had spent in rent for the past two years. That made my stomach hurt a little bit. So, we took my parents up on their very generous offer to let us move in with them. That's what precipitated the most horrendous moving process ever. We had a long weekend of partying for my birthday, and then we went right into the move. I have no idea how we accumulated so much stuff in just two years, especially since we were living in an apartment that was less than 1,000 square feet! But that's all behind us now. Living with my parents again is a little strange, but it's a big house, so I think it will work. And it's only temporary. With housing prices the way they are where we live ($650,000 for a small 40-year-old home!), we have to make some sacrifices.

That's your Astera update. Stay tuned for more madcap hilarity on the next episode of "Living With the Parents: Thirtysomething."

1 Comments:

  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Astera,

    Please make contact with your 7th Grade English Teacher who is mighty proud of your efforts to maintain a grammatically correct generation (listed in the phone book in Marin).

    Mrs. S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home