----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: More Auditions

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, October 20, 2006

More Auditions

I had two auditions this week. One was for an industrial, or training film, for a retail outlet. The other was for a SAG regional commercial for a gym.

The industrial audition was fine...it was a pretty basic scene where I played a sales associate trying to convince a customer to sign up for the store credit card. We did it twice, the director seemed to like it, and then we left. But I didn't get a really strong feeling about it either way.

Today was another story. The auditions were running late, and of course I had something scheduled right afterward, so I was worried about getting out of there on time. Then I found out that my agent had given me a little bit of bad information. I wasn't supposed to be the "hot girl in accounting" like she told me. I was supposed to be the "just one of the guys" girl in accounting who's a little envious of the hot girl and so decides to join this gym. That was fine, because I had been a bit surprised about being called in as the "hot girl." I am attractive enough, but I definitely don't fit the typical Hollywood "hot girl" standard.

Anyway, I was a little stressed going into the audition. I was supposed to improv saying hi to the guys, being jealous of the hot girl, deciding to join the gym, and making some personal change and getting an injection of confidence and flirtatiousness. The point is, if I had known all the before the audition, I would have brought my glasses, so I could do the stereotypical change where Plain Jane takes off the specs and is suddenly oh-so-pretty.

But even if I had brought the glasses, I think I was doomed from the beginning, because when I walked in, the guy running the audition said, "Did you change your hair color recently?" Well, I did get some subtle highlights a few days ago, but my hair doesn't look any different than it does in my headshot. Then he said, "Does anyone ever tell you that you look like Paris Hilton?" My mouth must have dropped open, because he said, "Oh, just in the face, you know?" (Well, I certainly don't have her body, although that wouldn't be so bad. But thankfully, I also don't have her intellect, or lack thereof.) No one has ever compared me to Paris Hilton in any way, shape or form. The only celebrity I ever get compared to is Dorothy Hamill.

Paris Hilton? Seriously? I wasn't sure if I had been complimented or insulted, but I think it was the latter. So. I don't think I'll be getting that part, either. Maybe next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home