----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Remembrance

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembrance

Five years ago, our world changed. Let's all take a moment to remember those who lost their lives in the September 11 attacks, and to thank those who have sacrificed to fight the war on terror. Let's also remember those who are dying needlessly in Iraq, a country with no weapons of mass destruction and no ties to Al-Qaeda. Finally, let's take a moment to grieve for innocence lost.

I remember a time when I didn't think it was possible for America to be hated by so many. I remember a time when I didn't believe a president could repeatedly lie to the American public without being held accountable. I remember a time when it seemed unthinkable to me that the CIA would run secret prisons or torture prisoners of war. I remember a time when it was illegal to hold prisoners without charging them with a crime. I remember a time when civil liberties were of paramount importance, not something to be handed over lightly. I remember when reasonable discourse, not "with us or against us" rhetoric prevailed. Alas, those days are gone.

September 11 shattered our national psyche. For some time afterwards, many Americans were glad to follow wherever the president led. I hope that now, five years later, we are beginning to see the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home