----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Running and Running

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Running and Running

Here's the thing: I hate running. I really, really hate it. But lately, I feel like I'm carrying around a little too much junk in the trunk. (I've always had a curvier bottom half, but this picture is from about a year ago, and I have definitely added more unnecessary padding since then.)

To alleviate this issue, I've been hitting the gym. One night, I decided to run a mile. Well, I decided to see if I could run a mile. Because, you see, since I hate running, I never do it. I mean, why should I do something that I hate when it is completely avoidable? It's not like I'm starring in Alias or 24, where bad guys are constantly chasing me down dark alleys. Hence, no need to run.

In the interest of whipping myself into shape, though, I forsook the elliptical trainer and the recumbent bike, and I forced myself to get on the treadmill.

I started slowly--a few minutes of walking. Then I worked my way up to a trot. And then I started running. (Well, jogging is probably more accurate--according to the treadmill display, I was going at 5.5 mph.) The important thing, though, is that I maintained that pace. I wanted to quit about halfway through, but I kept at it, and I completed my mile in 10 minutes and 54 seconds. Is that totally pathetic, or is that an okay start for a novice runner?

I think I will try to run at least once a week, interspersed with my other cardio activities. All the runners I know talk about this "runner's high" that they get. Maybe I will grow to love running. But somehow I doubt it.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jessi said…

    Actually, I've always heard the the elliptical machine burns more calories faster the treadmill. Maybe you don't have to struggle to run after all?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home