----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Pride and Prejudice

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

I have been on a real Jane Austen kick lately. There are several authors who have written novels that purport to continue the Elizabeth Bennett/Mr. Darcy story, but I have never been interested in any of them. I liked the way Pride & Prejudice ended, and I had no interest in reading about Elizabeth's and Darcy's imagined daughter, or anything like that.

Then I came across the "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" series by Pamela Aidan. It's a retelling of Pride & Prejudice, all from Mr. Darcy's point of view. I read An Assembly Such as This, the first book in the trilogy, and I was hooked. I think the three books (Duty and Desire and These Three Remain are the other two) do a really good job of capturing the spirit of Austen's work, and Aidan adds in a lot of intriguing details and backstory for Darcy and other characters, such as Charles Bingley. I re-read Pride & Prejudice while reading the books in the trilogy, and that just added to my enjoyment. Then I watched the movie version with Keira Knightley, and that completed the whole experience. So, if you're in the mood for a little Austen immersion, I highly recommend the "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" trilogy.

Next on my reading list (and in a totally different vein)...Happiness Sold Separately, by Lolly Winston. I read her first novel, Good Grief, last year, and her dry wit and distinctive voice amused me. Her new book is more somber, but it's still a good read so far.

What are you reading?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home