----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: NaNoWriMo!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, November 06, 2006

NaNoWriMo!

No, it's not some new word in Esperanto. It stands for National Novel Writing Month, and it's just about the coolest thing ever. The challenge is to write 50,000 words in 30 days, and I'm doing it, baby!

Of course, my novel is basically autobiographical, as I think many first novels are. It's also basically chick lit, but I am hoping it will be fun to read. It's been fun to write so far, although writing 1,667 words a day is a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. I am already behind by about, oh, 3,000 words or so. But even if I don't meet the 50,000-word goal, I am writing a lot more than I would be without this artificially-imposed deadline. "Without a deadline, baby, I wouldn't do nothing," or so said Duke Ellington.

If you are just dying to read an excerpt of my work, go here and enter "Astera" for author. Be forewarned, though, that I am pretty much writing through stream-of-consciousness. Those who have been successful during NaNoWriMos past have told me that the trick is to just keep writing. I need to get the 50,000 words out first. Then I can go back and revise. So if there are errors or things don't make sense, I'll be cleaning up those parts later.

Your comments are appreciated, unless you think my writing is stupid. If so, just keep it to yourself, alright? Gosh! Why do you have to be so negative all the time? Happy reading...

1 Comments:

  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Bruingirl said…

    What a nifty idea! I might have to attempt it myself! Thanks for the idea! I've been away from the world o' blogging for a bit (obviously)....this might be the kick in the pants that I need! I'll check out your novel when I get a chance! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home