----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: A Bright Spot!

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Monday, November 03, 2008

A Bright Spot!

About a week ago, I applied for a position as an SAT essay grader for the Princeton Review. I felt sure that my experience as a test prep tutor and my background in journalism qualified me for the job. Luckily, I was right...I have been invited to attend an essay grading training session next week! I hope that once I complete the training session, I'll be hired. The hourly pay is quite good, so it will be a nice supplement to my income, even if there are only a few hours available each week.

In other news, I continue to apply for jobs every day. Full-time, part-time, freelance...at this point, I'm not picky. I hope that Mr. Pink is right when he says that a job search is at least partly a numbers game and eventually someone will call me in for an interview. Also, thanks to the continuing generosity of the Pater Familias, I am no longer having panic attacks about paying my bills. Seriously, I do not know what I would do without the love and support of my family.

So, Mr. Pink and I are still in belt-tightening mode (who isn't, really?), but I am feeling a bit more positive about my prospects. And let's all hope that the literary agent who has my sample chapters falls in love with my book and wants to represent me!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it not what a Pater Familias is for--to help his children through rough spots as best he can. His pleasurable moments in life have been sitting under a fig tree listening to Greek music and enjoying the love of his first born. But a fig tree can only give so much. Eventually it too grows old and then passes on. Enjoy the figs, drink good grappa, Duckhorn Cabernet, and live today, for tomorrow may never come.

    O Kanenas

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Could you please tell me if your training for the Princeton Review was a legit way to make money? I, too, am going soon and want to know if I am wasting my time.... thank you for posting!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Astera said…

    Hi Alexia,

    I just went to the Princeton Review training last night. It was interesting, but I don't believe it will be particularly lucrative. To me, it seemed as though I'd have to put in quite a bit of unpaid time in trianing, just for the chance to grade essays. And, since graders are required to give a number grade AND write comments, I find it hard to believe that graders could really make $25 to $30 an hour. $16 to $20 seems more realistic...IF you pass the unpaid training.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home