----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Exploring Every Option

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Exploring Every Option

Recently, I sent out a direct mail package to local businesses and publications to pitch my writing and editing services. Only one person has responded so far, but I am hopeful that the connection will lead to paying work. I'm also applying for jobs like crazy, and I'm writing custom-crafted cover letters for each one, but it's tough not to get discouraged when I rarely get any sort of response.

I did receive an email from a woman who said she saw my resume on Monster, and she requested some writing samples, which I sent. Now, however, she wants me to write a short article on spec, with citations, but I don't even know what company this is for, or what sort of duties this job would entail. The company "Web site" is really just a landing page with the company name and phone number. That's it. I told the woman that I'd be happy to complete a writing test, but I wanted to get more information about the position they were hiring for first. So far, I haven't heard back.

It seems like there are so few legitimate job opportunities out there, so I'm doing my best to create my own opportunities, but it's an uphill struggle. I'm sure many of you out there can relate. If you're searching for a job right now, what are you doing to keep your spirits up? Me, I'm making sure to get lots of exercise. I'm also trying to focus on the positives in my life, such as my supportive family, my loving husband, and my great friends. Still, it would be nice to have a paying job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home