----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: Nothing To Do But Laugh...

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nothing To Do But Laugh...

My boss keeps telling me that decisions on our key messaging points and unique selling propositions simply cannot be rushed. Well, today, dear readers, after five months and 27 days of pondering those points, my boss imparted his great wisdom to me.

It was not worth the wait.

Here's what we do: we develop brands and position companies to succeed. We handle media planning. We "create marketing campaigns from concept to delivery with creative, out-of-the-box thinking [side note: is there anything less creative than the phrase 'out of the box'?], implement [sic] through traditional and new media platforms."

Yep, that sure sets us apart from all the other advertising and marketing agencies out there.

He also listed our strengths. And can you guess what he listed as our No. 1 strength? Take your time...I'll wait.

Himself.

As he explained to me, my boss is a marketing expert, and is therefore the very essence of our company. Has he worked in a marketing or advertising agency before? No. Has he successfully launched any major campaigns? No. Has he published any articles or white papers on innovative marketing or advertising practices? No. Nevertheless, he is a marketing expert. I think someone may have been exposed to too many self-esteem classes as a child.

And finally, my boss has decided that each of our web pages needs a creative title. So, instead of calling our portfolio page "Portfolio" or "Sample Work," he wants to name it...drumroll, please..."Picassos." What else can I say?

But I'm trying to stay positive. I still have a job, albeit for only 20 hours a week. And now I have a new project to work on...coming up with a tagline and writing our web copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home