----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ ----------------------------------------------- */ The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire: A Cautionary Tale

The Fabulous Adventures of Astera: Writer/Actress for Hire

Meet Astera (aka: me), a star in her own mind. Our plucky little heroine has embarked on not one but two difficult, low-paying career paths: writing and acting. Witness the menial jobs! The unreasonable demands! The quirky friends and family! And the glimmer of success just ahead! Through it all, Astera maintains her core beliefs: 1) She is destined to be fabulous 2) Everything is more fun with a cocktail.

Saturday, December 18, 2004

A Cautionary Tale

Thanks to everyone who has written in support of my blog and expressed shock over my firing. Well, it's really not that shocking, unfortunately. It's happened to several other people. Don't believe me? Just click here and here. So yes, Another American for Facts-Based Government, it could happen to you. But I firmly believe that bigger and better things are in store for me. For instance, I have some freelance work lined up for next week, and in two days, I'll make nearly as much as I made during a week at my old job. So there.

Okay, say you have a blog and you do not wish to be fired from your job. Here are some tips:
  1. Do not let anyone at work know you have a blog. Do not even talk about it at work. Do not tell someone about it over the phone...your co-workers are evesdropping! (I think that may have been my downfall.)
  2. Absolutely do not write in your blog while at work. Do not even write a draft. They can, and will, track your Internet usage.
  3. Do not visit your blog during work hours. See above.
  4. Do not write about work in your blog. I know, I know, it provides such ripe comedic material. But trust me, they will find out. And they will recognize themselves. And even though you have a right to free speech, they have a right to fire you at any time, for almost any reason. (Well, in California, at least.) So if they don't like what you're saying, be prepared to pack your things and go.
  5. Do not let on that you even know what a blog is. If one of your co-workers brings up blogging, feign total ignorance. "Blog? What's that? Some kinda new-fangled slang word? Heck, I don't even know how to download my digital photos to my computer! Emailing still befuddles the heck out of me! I sure as shooting don't know anything about this blog of which you speak." (Countryfied accent optional.)
  6. Use a fake name. Change all identifying details to protect the guilty.
  7. Do not post your picture in your profile. Do not post any pictures of yourself or any of your known associates on your blog, anywhere. Practice total deniability.

Oh, would that I had followed these suggestions! Actually, no. Strike that. If I had followed my tips, then I'd probably still be stuck at a job I hated and I wouldn't have time to do any fun things, like Christmas shopping. So, it's all for the best. If you hate your job, definitely ignore my suggestions. But if you want to keep your job, ignore them at your own peril. But seriously, this is it about my ex-job. That time is dead to me. Dead, I tell you!


2 Comments:

  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    I, for one, am proud of you. You seem to be handling this very well.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i did the majority of those things and I still got canned. So anytime now that I see anyone talking about their job...I cringe. Absolutely cringe.

    You're doing better than I did. Given I was 7 months pregnant and as hormonal as they come...I didn't take it too well!

    I'm impressed that you've got freelance lined up. I"m trying to get freelance going...I took a break for 5 months since having my kiddo.

    Anyway, "you are not alone..." Unfortunately, there are too many of us.

    The sarcastic Journalist
    shenuts.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home